Portfolio management tools keep the modern investor organized and focused. They’re an excellent way to monitor all of your investments in one place, check in on your performance, and determine whether you need to make any changes to your holdings.
Increasingly, they’re also a window to the future, allowing you to see not only your current net worth, but what your future net worth might look like if you continue down the same path or in other scenarios.
Portfolio management software has advanced by leaps and bounds over the years, so they’re useful to intermediate and advanced investors. But even beginner investors can use these tools to create stock portfolios meant to achieve their goals.
In fact, the only downside to portfolio management solutions is the overwhelming number of options on the market right now. Many of these tools don’t necessarily offer the same combination of abilities, some don’t have proven results to back up their claims, and by the point at which most investors could evaluate each portfolio management system for themselves, they’d have lost out on vital time in the market.
Fortunately, we’re here to help narrow the field down to its very best products.
The stock portfolio management software tools and apps explained below are all backed by trusted companies and offer ample features to help investors. The information below should help you pick out the software that best fits your personal investment needs.
And once we’re done detailing the top portfolio management tools available today, we’ll also answer some frequently asked questions about portfolio management software.
Best Stock Portfolio Management Software Tools + Apps—Top Picks
Tools: Free. Wealth Management: Fees vary by assets invested.
Free Plan: Free. Starter: $10/mo.* Investor: $16/mo.* Expert: $21/mo.*
Essentials: $54.99/yr. Premium: $124.99/yr. Premium Plus: $194.99/yr.
Our Favorite Portfolio Management Tools
The most important factors to consider as you’re reading through our list are the features you value.
Our ranking system is designed to reflect overall function, breadth and quality of features, and price. However, while one portfolio management solution might be ranked higher than another, it won’t necessarily deliver a better experience if it doesn’t do the things you expect it to do.
1. Empower (Best Free Investment Portfolio Software)
- Platforms: Web, mobile app (iOS, Android)
- Available: Sign up here
Empower (Personal Capital is now Empower) has 3.3 million users, some of whom use free tools such as the Personal Dashboard, and some of whom use the Wealth Management service.
Empower’s Free Tools
The free Personal Dashboard makes it easy for people to add all their financial accounts in one place, including credit cards, savings, checking, loans, and tax-advantaged investment accounts.
Empower also provides a free Investment Checkup tool to assess your portfolio risk, analyze past performance, and get a target allocation for your portfolio. The tool will help you identify overweight and underweight sector investments (perhaps you have too much allocated to utilities, and not enough to healthcare, for example) and assess your diversification.
You can even compare your portfolio to both the S&P 500 and Empower’s “Smart Weighting” Recommendation, which suggests that investors more equally weight their portfolios across size, style, and sector—unlike the S&P 500, where the biggest stocks have the most effect on the portfolio, and there are huge differences in how much each sector is weighted.
The Empower Fee Analyzer helps you examine the fees you pay in your accounts, whether that’s advisory fees, sales charges, expenses, and other costs.
Other investing and personal finance tools include a Savings Planner, Retirement Planner, Financial Calculators, and more.
These services, of course, are also available with Empower’s full-service Wealth Management account—along with a number of other perks.
Empower’s Wealth Management Services
The Wealth Management plan better suits investors who want a fuller advisory experience. The service pairs automated tools with human management.
After you enter your risk tolerance, goals, time frame, and personal preferences, Empower creates a recommended portfolio. The portfolios are diversified across multiple asset classes and rebalanced when necessary. The six asset classes include:
- U.S. stocks
- International stocks
- U.S. bonds
- International bonds
- Alternative investments
Customers have the option to incorporate socially responsible investing (SRI) into their investments, too. In short, that means you can choose to invest only in companies that have positive environmental and social impacts.
Investors enjoy access to financial advisors who can help them make various financial decisions, from retirement planning to college savings to stock options and more. Empower’s financial advisors are available 24/7 by phone, live chat, email, or web conference.
Note that the Wealth Management plan has a minimum initial investment of $100,000. Investors with between $100,000 and $200,000 have access to a team of financial advisors. Those with more than $200,000 have access to two dedicated financial advisors. There are extra benefits for people who invest over $1 million, including lower fees.
Wealth Management Annual Fee Tiers
- $100,000-$1,000,000: 0.89%
- $1,000,001-$3,000,000: 0.79%
- $3,000,001-$5,000,000: 0.69%
- $5,000,001-$10,000,000: 0.59%
- $10,000,001-plus: 0.49%
Regardless of how much money you bring to the table, if you sign up, you will be given the option to schedule an initial 30-minute financial consultation with an Empower advisor.
Empower | Free Net Worth and Investment Tracking
Free (no monthly fees for tools); Starts at 0.89% AUM for wealth management services
- Empower (formerly Personal Capital) is a free app that makes it easy to track your net worth.
- You can link it to your bank and investing accounts, credit cards and more to see a single view of useful information and data, including your net worth.
- Free net worth, cash flow and investment reporting tools
- Dedicated investment advisor
- Tax optimization retirement account withdrawal strategies
- High minimum for investment management ($100k)
- High investment management fee (0.89% AUM)
Related: 9 Best Stock Charting Apps [Free + Paid Software Options]
2. Seeking Alpha Premium (Best Portfolio Analysis Report Software + Stock Portfolio Tracker)
- Platforms: Desktop (Windows and Mac), Apple iOS app, Android app
- Available: Sign up here
Seeking Alpha Premium caters to the needs of intermediate and advanced investors looking for an affordable, all-inclusive, one-stop shop for their investing needs.
SA Premium builds on the site’s free portfolio tracking service. When you build a portfolio in Seeking Alpha, you can receive email alerts about stock news, analysis, earnings reports, and transcripts, and use the company’s calendars to see when your companies report. You can also import your portfolio from your brokerage account, and SA’s Health Check will score it based on professional ratings of all your stocks, as well as show you strengths and weaknesses (say, strong valuations but weak corporate profitability).
Seeking Alpha Premium goes a step farther, allowing you to see Quant, Seeking Alpha, and Wall Street ratings for each stock in your portfolio. It also will send you alerts about upgrades and downgrades to your holdings.
Past that, SA Premium acts as an all-in-one investing research, stock tracking, and recommendation service that offers insightful analysis of financial news, stocks, and more—all designed to help you make better investing decisions.
Whether you’re looking to invest on the go or dedicate time for more in-depth research and analysis, Seeking Alpha provides features that meet your needs, including:
- Earnings calls transcripts
- Seeking Alpha Author Ratings and Author Performance metrics
- 10 years’ worth of financial statements
- Ability to compare stocks side-by-side with peers
- Access to dividend and earnings forecasts and much, much more.
Why Subscribe to Seeking Alpha?
In short, Seeking Alpha distills the relevant financial information for you so you don’t have to—making it easy for anyone interested in self-directed investments to have a chance at outperforming the market. Consider starting a subscription to take advantage of SA’s Premium services and see if they make sense for your needs.
Seeking Alpha Premium & Pro
Premium: $99/yr.* or $349 for two years. Pro: $499/yr. or $69.99/mo.*
- Seeking Alpha has the world’s largest investing community.
- Seeking Alpha Premium helps you find profitable investing ideas, improve your portfolio, research stocks better and faster as well as track the news to find investing opportunities.
- Receive up to 15 investing newsletters filled with stock research and analysis, commentary and recommendations.
- Use Seeking Alpha Premium’s Seeking Alpha Stock Ratings to find stocks likely to outperform and make you money.
- Seeking Alpha Premium’s proprietary quant records have an impressive track record leading to massive market outperformance.
- Offers Free 7-Day Trial.
- Active community of engaged investors and analysts
- Stock screeners, quantitative tools for stock analysis
- Strong track record of market outperformance on stock ratings
- Minimal mutual fund coverage
Related: 10 Best Stock Advisor Websites & Services to Seize Alpha
3. Sharesight (Best Investment Management Software for Tracking Portfolio Performance, Including Dividends)
- Platforms: Desktop (Windows and Mac), mobile web*
- Available: Sign up here
Sharesight has an award-winning performance and tax reporting platform that empowers you to track stocks and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) from over 40 exchanges worldwide. It also allows investors to track more than 100 global currencies and follow unlisted, alternative investments such as fixed interest and investment properties.
All of this and more are available via Sharesight’s easy-to-use online portfolio tracker.
The service prides itself on being a spreadsheet replacement, allowing you to know the true performance of all listed holdings, across multiple asset classes, in a single place.
With powerful sorting features and the option to exclude closed positions, you can actively compare the performance of your holdings to numerous benchmarks of your own choosing. You also can see the impact of capital gains, dividends and currency fluctuations (if investing internationally) on your portfolio and against your benchmark.
These reasons alone qualify Sharesight to make this list, but where it truly excels is its dividend-tracking capabilities.
Income-generating assets are a powerful source of passive income for investors, so getting their amounts right is essential. You can do that via the website’s Taxable Income report, which allows you to see a running total of all your dividends, distributions, and interest payments over any time period. It can even break up distributions by local and foreign income. You can also use the platform to project expected dividend income based on announced dividend payments. And no more digging for dividend dates.
All you need to do is upload your holdings by either connecting to your broker or stock trading app, uploading a spreadsheet or manually entering your trading history or opening balance. Sharesight integrates with more than 170 online brokers worldwide and can readily add ones not yet available to the service with a simple request.
To get started, visit the Sharesight website and start a free trial to see how you like the service. The free trial allows you to track up to 10 holdings in one portfolio. From there, you’d need to consider one of their paid packages to track your full portfolio. They offer discounted annual plans by visiting their page through this link.
* Note: The Sharesight Reader mobile app retired Oct. 3, 2022, and was removed from app stores. Sharesight is still available on tablets and phones via mobile web.
Sharesight | All Your Investments in One Place, Not All Over the Place
Free Plan: Free. Starter: $10/mo.* Investor: $16/mo.* Expert: $21/mo.*
- Performance and tax reporting to track your shares and ETFs from over 40 exchanges worldwide
- Track 75 global currencies and unlisted investments in an easy-to-use portfolio tracker
- Over 300,000 users from over 100 countries with 3 million individual holdings tracked and 170+ brokers supported rate it as 4.6 / 5 stars on Trustpilot
- Tracks investments across multiple accounts
- Creates Dividend Income Report to forecast distributions
- Powerful tax reporting feature
- High customer ratings
- Limited support for crypto beyond major options
- Pricey solution for some investors
Related: 11 Best Commission-Free Stock Trading Apps & Platforms
4. Stock Rover
- Platforms: Desktop (Windows and Mac), mobile web
- Available: Sign up here
Stock Rover helps you keep tabs on your portfolio with detailed performance information, email performance reports, in-depth portfolio analysis tools, correlation tools, trade planning and re-balancing facilities.
The web-based applet works well as a stock tracking app for Windows, but also functions on Mac, mobile and tablets as well.
You can subscribe to this service for a number of applications:
- Stock Rover’s “Brokerage Connect” can show you a read-only data feed of your holdings across multiple brokerage accounts, providing you with a comprehensive view of your entire investment portfolio.
- A comprehensive alerting system allows you to find out immediately when something happens with your holdings that you should know.
- Stock Rover’s stock screener can help you expand your portfolio, showing you opportunities such as when companies trade below their perceived fair value.
Consider signing up for Stock Rover with a free 14-day trial. From there, you can decide if you’d like to continue with the service’s premium plans for more robust tracking and analysis.
Stock Rover | Tools for Investors
Essentials: $7.99/mo. or $54.99/yr. Premium: $17.99/mo. or $124.99/yr. Premium Plus: $27.99/mo. or $194.99/yr.
- A complete service for investors looking to use screeners, investment comparisons, real-time research reports, model portfolios, chart and more
- Use this top-rated investment analytics service to identify stocks worth buying and outperforming the market
- Hundreds of screening metrics
- Proprietary scoring systems
- Real-time executive summary research reports
- No mobile app
- No crypto or forex data
- US markets only
Related: 10 Best Stock Trading & Investment Apps for Beginners
5. Vyzer (Best Investment Tracking App for High-Net-Worth Individuals)
- Available via Desktop (Windows, macOS), mobile (Android, iOS) app
- Sign up here
Vyzer represents the best investment tracking app for high-net-worth individuals found on this list. It offers investment portfolio tracking, financial planning tools, and wealth management solutions for both public and private investments.
The digital wealth management platform also distinguishes itself by serving as the only service that combines public and private investment performance tracking. Vyzer keeps tabs on all of your investments in one place, providing a comprehensive view of your entire portfolio so you can easily monitor its performance. It supports all of the following accounts and asset classes:
- Real estate (syndications, funds, rental properties)
- Private equity funds (venture capital, hedge funds, debt funds)
- Private companies (startups and small-to-mid-sized enterprises)
- Investment accounts (Brokerage accounts, pension plans, 401(k), IRA, Roth IRA)
- Bank accounts (18,000+ banks worldwide)
- Crypto (Binance, Coinbase, BTC + ETH addresses, and more)
- Precious metals
You can even track investments you co-hold with others, and organize your investments under different holding entities.
Vyzer is designed for investors with diverse portfolios and multiple sources of income. It allows users to forward or upload any financial documents (think spreadsheets, investment documents, Schedule K-1s, quarterly statements, and more) and have the platform translate them into new assets or liabilities or update existing ones. After you link your bank accounts to the platform, Vyzer analyzes your transaction data with artificial intelligence to identify which transactions link to which assets or liabilities you’ve added to your account. This feeds the system’s cash flow tools.
Once you load all of your assets and liabilities into the dashboard, you can produce a cash flow forecast based on scheduled distributions, capital calls, expenses, and more.
Curious about how your peers handle their investments? Vyzer members can anonymously view each other’s portfolios to understand the financial products and funds they’ve invested in.
Empower, found earlier on this list is the closest comparison to Vyzer. The platform is different from Empower in four main ways:
- Vyzer doesn’t offer active wealth management.
- Vyzer can track more asset classes than Personal Capital (Empower)
- Vyzer offers more flexibility in adding new data to your account, and requires less effort.
- Vyzer charges a flat monthly fee (or a discounted annual fee) that you pay from outside with your investments, say with a credit card. Personal Capital takes its fees from portfolio performance.
If you are a sophisticated investor with a complex portfolio to track, consider using Vyzer to follow everything in a single platform. You can open an account for free for 30 days to see if the service is right for you. There’s no commitment and you can cancel at any time.
Vyzer | Your Private Investments Concierge
$99/mo., or $948/yr. if billed annually (15% off)
- High-net-worth investors can keep track of public and private investments with Vyzer, which provides portfolio tracking, wealth management, and financial planning tools.
- Enjoy comprehensive, holistic insight into your investment portfolio.
- Platform includes robust cash flow planning tools to make the most of your cash.
- Find new opportunities by seeing what other high-net-worth investors within the Vyzer community are doing.
- Can track a portfolio of public and private investments
- Can generate easy-to-view data from uploaded documents and linked bank accounts
- Flat fee increasingly a value as portfolio size grows
- No active wealth management offerings
- Price hard to justify for those with small net worth and/or simple portfolios
Related: Best Personal Capital Alternatives (Empowering Your Choices)
6. Quicken Premier
- Platforms: Desktop (Windows and Mac), Apple iOS app*, Android app*
- Available: Sign up here
More than 20 million users trust Quicken Premier as the best portfolio management software for their needs.
Quicken Premier’s portfolio management software allows investment tracking for your entire portfolio in one dashboard. You can connect investments, banking, loans, retirement accounts, assets, private holdings, and more. In fact: Do you own your home? Quicken Premier gets real estate market values from Zillow so you always have an idea of how much your home is worth.
Having all of your investment accounts in one place makes it easy to see your net worth. Your investments automatically update. You can customize your views and reports to focus on what is important to you.
Not sure how to adjust your asset allocation and grow your investment portfolio? Quicken Premier helps with portfolio management and provides robust analysis tools. No portfolio manager or asset managers are necessary.
Analysis tools include (but aren’t limited to):
- Morningstar Portfolio X-Ray
- Buy/Sell Preview
- Buy/Sell Optimizer
- By/Hold Analyzer
- Performance view
- Target allocations
- Investing activity reports
You can run “what if” scenarios, such as “What if I paid down my loans faster to save on interest?” There are also useful calculators to help plan for college funds, savings, loans, refinancing, and more.
The LifeTime Planner helps you prepare for retirement by running scenarios to see what would happen if your revenue streams increased or decreased, what would happen if you bought a new property, and other possibilities.
The software will help you create custom budgets and save for all of your various savings goals, such as an emergency fund, home renovations, vacations, and more.
Quicken automatically categorizes your transactions, and you can add your own customization rules if you want to have everything organized in the way that makes the most sense to you.
This portfolio management software also lets you view all your bills in one spot. You can pay your bills from Quicken for free as well with just a few clicks. And when tax season arrives, Quicken Premier automatically generates your tax reports.
And sometimes, you might want to chat with a real person, so Quicken software comes with free phone and chat support.
* Note: Quicken Premier does not have a standalone app, but it syncs with the Quicken mobile companion app for iOS and Android.
Quicken | Personal Finance and Money Management Software
Quicken Deluxe: $47.88/yr. Quicken Premier: $71.88/yr. Quicken Home & Business: $107.88/yr.
- Use Quicken to see your financial life in one place.
- Create a custom comprehensive budget, track your investments and plan for retirement.
- Stay on top of spending and track what’s left to pay bills that you can easily view and manage.
- Review your investment portfolio and monitor performance.
Related: 20 Best Stock Research & Analysis Apps, Tools and Sites
7. StockMarketEye (Best Stock Portfolio Management Software Housed on Your Device)
- Platforms: Desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux), Apple iOS app, Android app
- Available: Sign up here
If you have multiple investment accounts but are tired of refreshing multiple apps or switching browser windows to catch up on your performance, keep tabs on all your investments in one place with StockMarketEye.
This powerful, clean-looking stock tracker puts a wealth of financial information at your fingertips—all without having to spend time learning complex software. Instead, you can use that saved time focusing on your trades and improving your investment performance.
Why Use StockMarketEye?
StockMarketEye has a wide range of capabilities designed to track your portfolio’s performance and drill down into your holdings. The platform lets you:
- Easily monitor all your portfolios in one place
- Quickly analyze gains, losses, and performance
- Investigate potential investments
- Track stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, currencies, and other assets from around the world
Looking closer into StockMarketEye’s features, it offers three primary categories of service that investors find helpful:
1. Manage Portfolios
- Get started quickly by importing transactions and positions from brokerages or entering them manually
- Manage all of your investment accounts in one place
- Group portfolios and categorize your investments
- Compare your investments to a benchmark to see how well they’ve performed over various time frames
2. Organize Watchlists
The days of collecting stock watchlists are over. With StockMarketEye, you have bundled access to hundreds of securities in one convenient location within the application. Moreover, real-time data is available for some exchanges, helping you stay on top of important market activity.
Get live quotes and graphs to see how your investments performing. And use built-in alerts that will send you an email or text letting you know about important news for any of your holdings, as well as securities listed in your watchlist.
3. View Stock Charts
StockMarketEye is a stock price tracker that offers end-of-day, one- and five-day charts to provide perspective. And its 14 technical indicators can help you make better decisions as an investor with improved analysis.
You also can tap into StockMarketEye’s comparison charting features for superior insight.
How to Get Started With StockMarketEye
It’s easy to begin using StockMarketEye. Import your transactions from select brokerages directly into the software or use the Advanced Brokerage Import tool for brokerages in the U.S., U.K., Canada, Australia, India, and more.
You can also use standard investment files used by industry participants, including QIF, OFX/QFX, or CSV file formats. Or you can even add your holdings and transactions manually.
One major differentiator for StockMarketEye compared to many of its competitors is how you access and use the software. Namely, you install the software directly on your desktop (not just Windows and Mac, but even Linux) or mobile device, and you don’t store your data in the cloud. Instead, the data resides on your machine, providing privacy for your brokerage transactions and portfolio holdings.
If StockMarketEye sounds like a stock tracker worth trying, consider installing the software for a 30-day free trial.
StockMarketEye | Portfolio Tracker
Free 30-day trial, then $74.99/yr.
- StockMarketEye is an easy-to-use investment management and stock tracker that helps you keep an eye on your holdings and the markets
- Track portfolios, keep watchlists, view charts with technical indicators, and enjoy free, flexible stock quotes
- Free trial: You can try StockMarketEye for 30 days before purchasing
Related: 17 Best Stock News Apps & Sites [Financial & Stock Market Info]
8. Morningstar Instant X-Ray (Best Portfolio Management Software for Asset Allocation + Sector Weightings)
- Platforms: Desktop
- Available: Sign up here
Morningstar Instant X-Ray is one of the best free portfolio analysis tools out there. You can unlock this feature by merely signing up for a free Morningstar Basic account, or you can pair it with the various features found in the new Morningstar Investor paid tier.
With Instant X-Ray, you provide Morningstar with your holdings, and it will generate a comprehensive report that explains how your assets are diversified, whether that’s across size, sector, geography, or asset class. It even has a “stock type” section that details how much of your holdings are in cyclical plays, high yield, various growth types (slow, classic, aggressive, and speculative), and other classifications.
Another useful aspect of Morningstar Instant X-Ray is its “fees and expenses” section. Morningstar will tell you what your average expense ratio is, as well as what you could expect to pay with similarly weighted hypothetical investment portfolios. (In short: Are you paying more than you should, or less?) It will also tell you how much per year you’re likely paying in fees, as well as any sales charges you would’ve paid.
Past that, the paid Morningstar Investor service includes access to its independent analysis, stock screeners, and in-depth market observations. Morningstar Investor also is currently offering a screaming deal for students: One year of access for just $25—roughly 90% off the normal price.
Free 7-day trial. $199/yr. with coupon code “YATI”*
- Morningstar Investor offers expert research and investing advice. The service prides itself on its objectivity, top picks and advisor-grade portfolio management tools.
- Special Offer: Use coupon code “YATI” to receive $50 off your first year of Morningstar Investor
Related: 14 Best Discount Brokers [Low-Cost Online Brokerage Accounts]
What Is Portfolio Management Software?
Portfolio management software shows you the “big picture” of your investment portfolio—and depending on the service, the rest of your finances, too.
Through investment tracking, you can see how your investment portfolio is performing and determine whether you need to adjust your asset allocation. The best portfolio management software options also offer tools to help you make informed personal finance decisions.
Which Software Is Best for Portfolio Management?
Some of the top portfolio management software available today are Empower, Seeking Alpha, Sharesight, Stock Rover, Quicken Premier, StockMarketEye, and Morningstar Portfolio Manager Instant X-Ray. These are all explained in more detail above.
The best portfolio management software for you depends on the device(s) you want to use the software on, your budget, and the tools that are most important to you.
For example, while the Morningstar Portfolio Manager Instant X-Ray investment management software is an excellent option, it’s only available on desktop. If you want to do portfolio management from your phone, then X-Ray is likely not for you.
Some software is free (or at least has a free tier), including Empower, Sharesight, and Stock Rover. Other portfolio management tools cost money and might be out of your budget early on. But it’s worth noting that many investors find these tools help them make back their fees—with plenty more to spare.
Finally, consider which features are most important to you and see which software offers those features. Is it important to you to have access to human financial advisors? Do you want to compare your stocks to benchmarks or other stocks? Do you need advice about asset allocation? The answers to these questions will help you pick your software.
Related: 9 Best Robo-Advisors for Investing Money Automatically
How Do I Manage My Stock Portfolio?
When you’re choosing stocks and funds, you have to consider a few things, including risk tolerance (are you OK with a volatile market or not), goals (what are you investing for?), and time horizon (how long do you have to invest?).
Unless you’re an experienced investor, you’ll either need advice from asset managers or to use investment portfolio management software to manage your investment portfolio.
A professional portfolio manager and some portfolio management software can tell you if your investment portfolio is balanced, or if it’s too heavily weighted in, say, a particular industry, or in small caps, or in European stocks.
Your investment portfolio management software should also have tools to help you compare stocks, evaluate exchange-traded funds and mutual funds, run scenarios on how your investment portfolio would perform in certain situations, and more.
If you’re a long-term investor using trusted portfolio management software, once you’ve chosen your investments, you should only have to check in occasionally on your progress. Indeed, unless you’re a day trader, you shouldn’t have to check your investments every day.
Related Investment Portfolio Management Software Questions
How much does investment portfolio management software cost?
Investment portfolio management software can range anywhere from free to more than $1,000 a month if you’re looking for advanced products and features. But remember: That expensive management software is probably only worth it for advanced investors who can make the most of all those tools.
Some beginners can get by with free investment portfolio management software, while other beginners and intermediate investors might want to upgrade to paid software, which can range to a few dollars a month to a couple hundred dollars per year. If you’re using highly rated software and taking the time to learn most of the important features, you can usually quickly make your money back pretty quickly.
Is investment portfolio management software worth it?
Investment portfolio management software is indeed worth it for many people.
But not everyone.
It isn’t worth it for people who don’t want an active role in their personal finance decisions. Some investors like to put all of their money into a mutual fund or a couple of exchange-traded funds and call it a day.
It’s also not worth it for people who would prefer to pay a portfolio manager to run their portfolios for them. At that point, portfolio management software would simply be overkill.
However, if you want to actively make decisions about your own investment management, and you want to choose a variety of holdings, well … investment portfolio management software is very much up your alley.
The best portfolio management software will not only scratch that itch, but it typically will pay for itself by helping you make better investment decisions. Just remember: There can be a learning curve for these and any other financial tools.
If you’re unsure if you would find these types of software valuable enough, consider trying out a tool that offers a free trial. Many software platforms and apps offer free trials ranging between seven days and a full month.
What is the best way to track investments?
When you have multiple brokerage accounts from different financial institutions, it can be difficult to keep track of all of your investments.
Spreadsheets can take a substantial amount of time, are prone to human error, and don’t give you advice on adjustments to make. Some people choose to hire portfolio managers to track their investments, but these professionals can be expensive. And while some managers do allow for a lot of input on your part, others strictly stick with their own investment management system, leaving you with very little control.
Investment portfolio management software, however, is a great way to track all of your holdings, across all accounts, in one place, while taking as much control as you want. This type of software makes it simple to track your net worth, can show redundancies in your investments, lets you try various investment scenarios, and more. Best of all, it automatically updates itself with information from your brokerage accounts.
Is there an app that tracks your stock portfolio?
Yes, there are mobile apps that can track your stock portfolio and let you handle portfolio management. Empower, Seeking Alpha, Quicken Premier, and StockMarketEye all offer mobile apps, and they’re explained in previous sections.
Many users appreciate the convenience of being able to check how their stocks are performing from anywhere they have service. The information automatically updates and provides a broad picture of your investments in one spot.
Related: Best Brokerage Account Sign-Up Bonuses, Promotions and Deals
How can I see all my investment accounts in one place?
You’ll need portfolio management software that lets you sync up information from all of your different investment accounts.
These programs typically will show you your net worth, help you optimize your portfolio, and allow you to make adjustments where necessary.
Looking at all of your investments in one place has an important benefit: avoiding overweights. When you have your investments split across multiple accounts, it’s much more difficult to determine whether your portfolio is too heavy in one particular sector, industry, stock size, or geography, and too light in another. All-in-one dashboards help you get a clearer picture of your entire investment picture.
Which services offer investment management?
Empower is one of the few portfolio management tools that also offers an investment management service.
As mentioned before, Empower’s free Personal Dashboard lets you see all of your financial accounts in one place. You can also use the free Investment Checkup tool to assess your portfolio performance, risk level, asset allocation, and more.
However, Empower also offers Wealth Management services to people with at least $100,000 in assets. This service allows you to tap the knowledge of Empower’s financial advisors, as well as the company’s tools, helping you maximize both resources.
Users enter information on their goals, risk tolerance, and more, and the service will recommend a portfolio. Anyone with questions can call the financial advisors around the clock for portfolio management advice.
Our discussion have COMMENTS (3)
Best of the Best 💣
The post has given me a lot to think about …
Interesting, but still would like to know more about it. Loved the article!:-)